Thursday, November 15, 2012

ClawDia Kitty

Well, the past 3 weeks have been full of snot, coughing, congestion, fever, up all night, cold medicine, antibiotics, doctors visits, more antibiotics, shots, Vicks, and now a new addition - ClawDia Kitty.  I will explain more about her in a minute.

About 3 weeks ago before the Big Game Hunt, Claire was starting to get congested and even ran a fever.  I called the doctor that weekend and pretty much begged for advice over the phone instead of bringing Claire in since she is mortified of the doctor's office.  The nurse told me to give her Zyrtec and Mucinex Cough and so I did.  She stayed congested the next week but didn't have any runny nose or anything and the fever went away.  That next weekend, she wasn't any better. I called again and the nurse said to keep doing what we were doing and hopefully it would go away soon. 

That following week Claire was up for 2 hours almost every night hacking her head off.  Nothing was helping.  That led us to last weekend. Saturday morning Claire woke up with terrible snot running out of her nose and a wet, nasty cough.  I decided it was time to brave the trip to the doctor.  We went in and sure enough, Claire had a sinus infection and ear infection.  They put her on Augmentin (supposed to be top of the line antibiotic) and told us to continue the OTC meds. 

All this past week we have not seen ANY improvement on the antibiotic.  Tuesday, Claire got sent home from preschool with a low grade fever.  I called the nurse again and we were told to wait out the antibiotic.  I called again Wednesday because she was no better, but the fever was gone.  Wait another few days.  I asked if we could switch meds because she was still not any better.  No switching meds.  

So after we were up for 2 hours last night with Claire unable to breathe, coughing continuously, and breathing fast, and waking up with a low grade fever, we went back to the doctor today.  The doctor said she didn't think it was RSV which is good.  But it could possibly be a viral type cold that really is not responding to antibiotics.  Her ears looked better but still had fluid on them.  The doctor decided to add another antibiotic (Azythromycin sp?) on top of the Augmentin.  She said she thought Claire may have a little bit of pneumonia, but not enough to hospitalize her (thank God!!!). 

I have stopped by the pharmacy enough this past week they know who I am when I walk in.  The pharmacist even said today that he thought Claire would end up being an Olympic gymnast when she got older because she has such strength and determination and has been so strong through everything she endures.....

The doctor also prescribed breathing treatments.  Hence, ClawDia Kitty:



ClawDia Kitty is our newest addition - she is Claire's nebulizer!  I think it's cute that they make them like this for kids.  Claire loves ClawDia as long as she is not on.  Tonight to give her the first treatment, we had to put ClawDia outside and feed the tubing under the door to Claire's highchair.  She freaked out of course with the mist/smoke blowing in her face.  But I pulled out the DVD player and that seemed to help some.  I am praying with the new meds and the breathing treatments, this cold will let loose it's major hold on her.   She had even lost a pound since she was seen on Saturday.  :(

Of course, Claire DID NOT put the mask on.  I was not even dumb enough to think she might.  But we did hold the tubing by her face so as she was crying, I am sure she sucked some of the medicine up.  I think it's Albuterol that is in her nebulizer. 

And on top of Claire being sick, she so graciously has shared it with me and Trent.  Trent is so sick he has already been to the doctor twice this week and has received I think 8 Rocephin shots, 4 steroid shots, is taking 40 mg of Prednizone a day, and 2 z-pack pills a day for the next week or 2.  Plus ear drops.  I am trying to survive on DayQuil and NyQuil.  But of course with my stress, my face has  broken out in that weird bumpy rash again like it did 3 weeks ago.  It's so strange and makes my face feel weird and itchy and burning.  Ugh.  If Trent and Claire would get better, I know I would feel better. 

So that's what we have been up to lately.  Not much fun.  Please pray that Claire is on the mend.  I know how I feel, I cannot imagine how she feels. 

Love,
The Scott Family

No comments:

Post a Comment